As we get ever closer to that November 19th move-in date, I can’t help but start to plan for how I want my new place to look. I find it’s much easier to keep track of things I want to purchase/DIY by creating mood boards to see what will and what definitely WILL NOT work in the room.
First I started with a color palette. Now this I wish I could claim to be my own, but I’ve decided to steal the color scheme from Young House Love…. and why not? It’s perfect. Anyway, here’s how it all came together:
And here’s the breakdown:
- Sunburst Mirror. This one is from Crate & Barrel, but I plan on making my own. There are just too many DIY tutorials out there for me to justify dropping $300 on this guy.
- Pendant Lamp. Also from Crate & Barrel. I plan on replacing all the light fixtures in the apartment pretty early on as they’re all incredibly out-dated…. and brass. Gag. However, you will NOT see me dropping $400 per light fixture. But, hey, just because I can’t afford it doesn’t mean I can’t gain inspiration from it.
- A GIANT piece of abstract art using my color palette. It’s genius, folks. What better way to tie things all together than to get a big ol’ discounted stretch canvas from Michael’s and go all crazy with leftover paint from the walls? More on that project once the walls are painted!
- Side tables from IKEA. I actually already own these. They’re currently in my bedroom being used as nightstands, but I’m not loving them and I’m a HUGE fan of having “crap drawers” in nightstands to hold… well, crap. I plan on moving these babies into the living room and actually using them for their purpose and then buying new legit nightstands for the bedroom.
- Glass carboy lamps. I made these awhile back when I gave up on my beer brewing hobby. You can read about that project here.
- PILLOWS! Anyone who knows me knows I have an obsession with pillows. The couch I’m buying actually comes with the 2 shown there on the couch and the colors are all wrong. So instead of buying these from Crate & Barrel, I’m probably going to run by World Market or Pier1 to pick up some bright colored cloth napkins to make new pillowcases for them using this tutorial.
- Throw. I have several blankets that I keep in baskets in the linen closet because they just don’t match anything, but I may give up on the color scheme at some point because I’m tired of spending money unnecessarily and those blankets I already have are just so darn comfy.
- Pier1 coffee table. Luckily my parents have some pretty nice hand-me-downs. I had this one in my old apartment in college, but it got nixed in the decor arrangement of the new townhouse so it’s been back sitting in my parents’ basement just waiting for me to need it again. Well that time is now.
- Sofa. I’d wanted a sectional, but have you seen the price of those things?! That nearly doubles the cost and hardly gives you more seating. For $300 less, I can throw my feet on the coffee table for all I care. This couch is from Value City Furniture – hey I’m on a budget here!
Linking up to: