It’s been a surprisingly productive month around here and to kick off April, we’ve finally had the sump pump installed. This was a job we went back and forth on and I’ll be really honest with you guys, I’m still not sure it was worth hiring out. But we did and it’s done and I can cross it off the to-do list, so there you have it.
Last year, back when we had the new gas line installed so we could replace our oven, the man writing up the quote noticed how flooded our crawlspace was. It was something we’d noticed happened after it rained, but always seemed to go down and be bone dry after a couple of days, so we weren’t that concerned. We’d read about “vapor barriers” for crawlspaces and our home inspector recommended one as well, so we figured that was the solution.
But the contractor happened to come right after a heavy rain and was very clear about the fact that a vapor barrier is good for a damp crawlspace. I didn’t take any pictures, but the above picture is SPOT ON what it looked like down there. It had flooded several inches. The only solution for that would be a sump pump. So while he was already down there poking around, we had him quote out the work for that as well – $1230. Not a small chunk of change. We decided to move forward with the gas line and put this other project on the list for later. Out of sight out of mind right?
The problem was that we couldn’t enjoy the yard all summer long. Even if you showered in bug repellent, you were swarmed the moment you stepped outside. It was awful and really embarrassing having friends leave our home after a weekend covered in bug bites. Welcome to the marshes of Virginia. The flooding in the crawlspace was pretty constant. Just before it went down, it would rain again so there was constant puddling – the perfect breeding ground for those pesky mosquitoes. We knew we had to get the sump pump in there this year as soon as the snow melted if we wanted to have a shot at enjoying our yard this year.
We went back and forth on doing it ourselves or hiring it out. We’d finally settled on doing it ourselves since a sump pump costs around $300 and all we had to do was dig a hole in the ground to drop it in. The hard part would be the discharge line out of the house and that didn’t really in my head justify spending an extra $900 to have a pro come out and do. But then The Mister broke his leg and the idea of me getting in there alone to dig a hole became vastly unappealing. We had also ended up saving ourselves about $600 on the quoted fence installation by ripping out the brush line ourselves, so I was starting to mentally justify hiring the sump pump project out.
We had to get a new quote before they could start working – $1285. Eeesh. I went ahead and OK’d the work and yesterday they came to install it. It only took them a couple of hours. The ground was so soft and muddy, digging the hole was the easy part. Although it kept filling with water, so they were having to pump it out pretty constantly while they worked. I sat on the couch with my laptop listening to a few verses of “It’s alllll muddddddy. I’ts alllll mudddddy and nasty.”
And at the end of the day, it was done.
Like I said, still struggling to justify spending that much money to have a crew come out and do this one for us, but the job is done and I didn’t have to lift a finger. Now I just have to figure out how to make this giant garden pipe less noticeable…