That title doesn’t even begin to describe the project I decided to take on at the end of this summer. A week or two after moving into my first single apartment, alone, and just turned 22, I started perusing a bunch of popular DIY blogs including Better After, Three Men and a Lady, and my all-time favorite Young House Love. I wanted my apartment to look like an apartment that a 20-something would live in as opposed to just a college apartment with cheap beer being the only inhabitant of my fridge – although don’t get me wrong, I still have cheap beer in the fridge.
With these blogs and all of their wonderful inspiring projects under my belt, I decided to start small and tackle my dresser in a matter similar to that in the blog Eat, Drink, Decorate. I bought my dresser off Craigslist.com 2 years ago when I moved into my first off-campus apartment. It was $50 and a real bargain considering it’s quality. Real wood with a beautiful stain. It had the standard hardware (those annoying dangling drawer pulls) that I always find cheapens the piece. Anyway, it suited my needs at the time, but I was looking for something that had a sleeker look to it to match the new bedroom decor I purchased for the new place.
Armed with sanding sponges and a scarf wrapped around my face, I quickly hit my first few speed bumps in my project. Sponge sanders are crap. They don’t work well for stripping finish despite what they say. Invest in strips of sandpaper you can rip and wrap around a wood block. It makes the sanding process 10x faster and effective. Also, investing in some masks probably would’ve been a smart idea along with some work glasses. I could only do a few drawers a day as the dust in my apartment led to much coughing and itchy eyes. Note: For a 100lbs girl, lugging everything down from my 3rd floor apartment to do all of this outside wasn’t an option.
2 weeks later, I’d finally got around to finishing the sanding and had bought the deep charcoal paint I’d been dreaming of for the project. Painting walls is something I’m no stranger to and a roller tends to make the process much smoother. With only a 2″ brush and lots of grooves to paint in, I found I was very much in a territory I hadn’t been expecting. It was tedious and involved squatting in several positions I don’t find appropriate to elaborate on. It’s been QUITE a process, so I warn anyone expecting to get into the DIY realm of home decorating that dresser renovations is no small undertaking. Especially true considering the only tools I owned prior to this project were a 6-in-one screwdriver and a mini hammer (my housewarming present from my parents).
I’ll post pictures soon, but I want to do a 2nd coat of paint and then a coat of Polyurethane to seal it before I show off all my work. Not to mention, I have yet to order the new hardware and refuse to use the old standard drawer pulls.