It’s finally finished.
So let me tell you the tale of the headboard.
First, I removed a board from what was our original tabletop to be the proper width for the headboard. Then, after re-measuring, I reattached the removed board to be the proper width for the headboard.
Then, I bought the wrong nails. Nails which were intended for a brad nailer because I can’t read. Nails which I tried to pull apart like staples and hammer in anyway. They bent. Then, I went back to the store the next day to buy normal nails.
Then, I measured and cut all the wood before putting it together. So, when I tried to put the top piece on, I realized it was 1/8″ too short. The cross pieces had pushed it a little wider than I’d expected. So, then, I had to go back to the store later and buy another 1×3.
Finally, we got this whole thing together. And it was B-E-A-Utiful! We stained it using MinWax in Early American. I skipped sealing it because I’m lazy. I know. Gasp! Cut me some slack. It’s been a difficult project. And then the (second) worst happened. We couldn’t get it up the stairs out of the basement.
So, then I cut 2″ off the bottom of the legs. Unfortunately, that didn’t seem to be enough. We were stuck on the stairs with no way no angle that was going to get that thing up to the main floor. We were tired. We knew we couldn’t just set it down on the stairs at the angle it was at, so we adjusted to take it back down. And just as we did, we realized it was now in the perfect position to go up. In a moment of exhaustion and hysterical laughter, we managed to get it up. Then, the actual worst happened. We couldn’t get it up the stairs to the top floor.
The angle of these stairs is different than that of the basement stairs. There’s also this extra low hanging stupid thing due to the closet in the study upstairs. So, we left it in the kitchen while we brainstormed. Sorry… didn’t clean the kitchen after dinner before taking this picture.
The next day, we knew there was only one option. If we wanted to get this thing upstairs, we were going to have to remove the legs completely and reattach them once we got up there. So, we brought up the miter saw, and lopped off the legs right there in our living room. Sad day.
Luckily that was really the end of our troubles. Getting it up the stairs at that point was a breeze. We used some scrap 1×3 wood to put on the back of the headboard to screw into the main piece as well as the leg. Since it was going to be hidden by the bed, we didn’t worry about trying to stain the scrap wood to match. It’s sturdier than I would have expected given the damage we caused it along the way. The banging around on the way up the sets of stairs – whacking it against the walls, the banister, and apparently my knee – didn’t help. I’m sure if you give it a good shove from the side, the whole thing will probably just fall apart at this point, but it doesn’t really seem to wobble too much. We just leaned it up against the wall and put some – I kid you not – 3M poster sticky things along the top to keep it from moving. Ah… the life of a renter.
But I do have to say, the plan was VERY easy to follow. And if you’re not having to transport it the way we were, you’d probably be fine doing it just the way the instructions describe. My only suggestions are to use some wood glue along with the nails and measure and cut as you go rather than all at once at the beginning. If you’re wanting to build your own, you can get the plan over at Ana White.