I’ve never been a big fan of winter. Sure when I was little, there was always the possibility of school getting canceled, snow ball fights in the school parking lot, or going sledding with my sister. Once we all got into college though, winter started to become the worst time of year. They wouldn’t cancel classes. You’d have to get bundled up and waddle like the kid from A Christmas Story all the way to class praying you didn’t slip on an icy patch on the sidewalk. It’s even worse now in the real world. You have to go to work, so often that means getting up a little earlier to scrape off your car or dig it out of snow. My office is less than 10 minutes down the road, so usually my heat hasn’t even kicked in by the time I get anywhere. And the days are shorter…. oh my God the days. It’s like the worst thing ever. When I walk out of the office and it’s already dark out, I’m done for. All I want to do is go home and crawl into bed. Talk about being unproductive.
Maybe I should take up skiing so that I can actually have some reason for liking the season. Although considering I spent about an hour on my butt last weekend, I think that’s a few more winters away before I’ll find that sport enjoyable. I make it look good though right?
You have to understand my general feelings about the season to fully understand the low point I think I’ve finally reached. Last night, I walk out of my office and it’s only slightly cool and still light out. I immediately get the urge to DO THINGS as it’s clear that Winter is on its way out. I drive over to Home Depot and load up on more paint. I figure I’ll do touch ups and paint over any of the unfinished walls leaving the few painted walls as accents. Totally intentional. haha I also stupidly wander over to the garden section and stock up on windowsill greenhouses and herb seeds so that by the time the Mister and I find a new place to live, they’ll be ready to use because for some reason I always forget that I have a black thumb when it comes to gardening. But when I walked in my front door, all motivation was lost.
I opened the can of paint and dabbed a bit on the blue spots on the bathroom ceiling that appeared after a rather interesting painting experience several months before that involved the painting of the walls, the linoleum floor, the toilet seat, the sink edge, parts of the ceiling, the baseboards, edges of the tile around the shower, and of course the top of the Mister’s head. Sadly the paint (even though I went with eggshell) is still too bright for that dingy apartment construction-grade paint. Sigh…now I have white spots on my ceiling.
I washed my brush off, put on my ForeverLazy, piled up on the couch and put the new Twilight movie on. Yeah. That was a low point. However, I do feel like it’s a great movie to promote abstinence. For anyone that hasn’t seen it yet, just don’t watch the last half hour… or really just don’t watch it at all. I thought about running, but there was a thunderstorm. Let’s face it… I probably wouldn’t have anyway. Having a severe lack of food, I considered ordering out, but decided to just make soup instead. Since I was out of pretty much everything, my lentil vegetable soup turned into just lentils cooked in broth with bacon and garlic. It could’ve been worse though. Seriously people – just take a look at the contents of my fridge right now:
a. about a half dozen eggs, b. bacon fat (don’t judge), c. dates – do those go bad? if so they probably are, d. my sourdough starter which I haven’t fed in a month… he’s probably dead, e. syrup, f. tomato paste, g. orange marmalade, h. the leftover “lentil vegetable soup”, i. cider, j. expired yeast – there was only about 1tsp left anyway, k. some caramel apples that I’d used to top a cheesecake 2 weeks ago – yeah I need to pitch those, l. water, m. my painting tools, n. apples.
Yep… that’s what my life has come to. I’ve become so unmotivated, I can’t even go to the grocery store unless it’s a night I’m cooking for the Mister.
So here’s my plan to get out of this Winter Funk I’ve settled into.
- Plan meals for the week and GO TO THE GROCERY STORE.
- Finish folding the 3 loads of laundry I did the other day and put everything away.
- File away last month’s bills that, while paid, have accumulated on the counter.
- Buy new paint – have Home Depot paint match the bathroom vent cover that was painted over with the same color as the ceiling.
- Finish painting and clear all paint tools out of the living room, hallway, and my refrigerator.
- Glue back together the 2nd carboy lamp that came apart during the move to get that out of the living room floor.
- Put away the Christmas lights. We may have finally taken the tree down mid-February, but the light strands are still in a clump in the living room begging me to trip over them.
- Come up with a reasonable and relatively easy to keep up workout routine for the next couple of months… then follow it.
- Set my super loud alarm in the morning rather than my phone vibrating alarm to jar myself awake earlier.
- Start eating breakfast again rather than a small handful of almonds from the stash in my desk drawer at work.